Sunday, October 5, 2014

Does It REALLY Matter?

Yesterday, October 4, 2014, I was invited to go to a friend's church that once a month has a gathering of young adults (20 and 30 year olds) to network, chat, sing, and hear a message.  I'm not going to get too much into the nature of the message or songs because they were all pretty good but there was this one specific instance that rubbed me the wrong way...

So it was after the message and we were waiting for the food to arrive (it was catered Cosi which is always a good idea).  It was a quite informal experience where people felt comfortable enough to just walk up to others and randomly start having a conversation (which if you know ANYTHING about me, that's not my specialty).  Nonetheless, this guy and I believe a girl walked up to me and started to have a conversation with me.  It went as follows (note I'm trying to recall the entire convo so this is an approximation):

-A little short talk-
Guy:  So are you a Christian?
Me: Yessir.  Jesus is alive!
Guy: How do you know that he's alive?
Me: *thinking that this is an interesting convo* Well I interact with him every day through nature, I talk to him, I pray to him...
Guy: WRONG, you know that he's alive because of the Spirit.

Pause.

Right when he said that statement he had this sly look on his face like he was trying to prove, (whether to me, himself, or the lady next to him) that he knew some theological lingo.  Congratulations buddy, but come on!  Why does it matter if I didn't use the correct theological lingo? Was my answer incorrect? No.  Was your answer more biblically standing? Sure.  However, the need to completely shoot down my answer just to relay your supposed theological superiority took me aback.

It has led me to ask the question: Is this how we seriously evangelize now?  Are we overly consumed with having the correct (or should I say supposedly) correct answer that we're out to prove that we know what we're talking about?  My intention is not to bash the guy because I'm sure his intentions were at least somewhat pure, but brother, does it REALLY matter if I didn't recount Theology 101 and give credence to the Spirit at the moment of a spontaneous conversation?

If I ever have a conversation like the above that emphasized the core of Christianity, hopefully, I'll take the answer given as an acceptable one.  I mean the fact that I acknowledged Jesus' presence should tell you something about my beliefs.  Besides, the Holy Spirit was sent in Jesus' name (John 14:26)!  So me interacting with Jesus is acknowledging the Spirit.

Let's not get bogged down into the semantics of theology unless we are having a deep theological discussion of which acknowledgment of discourse is being partaken.  It's a waste of words and I'm afraid that it may rub people the wrong way.  Our job is to show people the light, not disgust them with our proud Christian-ese words that leads them with a poignant taste in their mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment