Tuesday, December 3, 2013

The Bastardization of Christian Worship Music

Have you ever had a friend (or maybe you're that friend) that tries wayy to hard to fit in.  This friend will at times bend his or her morals just to feel accepted, just to feel in the "in-crowd?"  I know that I've been like that at times and from experience, your popularity won't last very long. Either your popularity runs out because people realize that you are a phony, or you lose the drive continuously being something you're not due to its draining effect.

That is what's happened to Christian -- "God" Music.  What first started as an experiment of blending new music and sound to reach new generations, have lost, what Charismatic People call: "anointing."

Anointing.  That indescribable feeling when you hear an artist sing or play that you can just feel; that ministers to you.  Too many of our music is now lacking this.  Too many of our mainstreams songs are being made just to grab a buck.  While money is nice, the Bible reminds us that the love of money is the root of all evil. (1 Tim. 6:10)

An artist that produces music that is intended to impact a Christian-seeking audience (and also a Christian artist that wants to reach out to secular crowds) shouldn't have the primary motive of making money.  Our primary motive, in all that we do, is to glorify God and to draw people closer to Jesus.  And while peppering Jesus' name throughout a song might satisfy your conscious for a while, you are essentially turning Jesus' temple (which is everywhere) into a "den full of thieves."  Of which Jesus drove out. (Matt 21:13)

Some people might think that the title of this blog is kinda harsh and I would be inclined to agree with them.  However, as a worship leader who dabbles in artistry (bass player) as well as spent a good portion of my life directing choirs, I'm getting sick and tired of Jesus-music being made just for the money.  Or even worse just so that the artist can become famous.  Or even worse, the artist has become famous, has a loyal following, and has allowed the love of money get to their head which puts their lovers at risk.  So yes, I am annoyed thus the harsh title.

What happened to that music where you can listen to the first verse of it and just feel the Holy Spirit moving through it?  For example, I'm sitting in my bed earlier in the year watching the Passion Conference in Atlanta.  All of a sudden this woman starts singing, of whom I'd never heard of, but you may know her as Kari Jobe.  She sang the Revelation Song (which I'd never been too fond of).  Right when she starts singing the verse, I felt an instant shutter.  By the end of the song I was BLOWN AWAY because that song had anointing.


I will be the first one to admit that I'm an overly emotional black man when it comes to worshipping and I'm not ashamed.  But if you aren't feeling something by the bridge..Then maybe I'm just insane.

A fellow blogger Dan asked me a question about Christian Bands, and how do I perceive them.  My response is that I have no problem with huge bands; from little garage bands to organs to orchestral sympathies.  If you were to look through my iTunes you would see a range of all different instrumentation; it doesn't matter.
For example: (another Kari Jobe example--you can see how much I like her)

I don't wanna take up too much space, but I can go on..and on with different musical styles.  I'll admit it, this whole anointing thing can be accused of being subjective.  Nevertheless, I believe that when the Holy Spirit is on a song, anyone that's in tune can feel it.  I'm not a big fan of Southern Country music such as the Gaithers.  I would be remissed, however, to say that their music doesn't have some anointin.

My God is not one of limits.  I'm not going to call out people of whom I feel have "sold out" to mainstream ideal of M.O.E. (Money over Everything).  I'm just a worshipper who wants some genuine new songs to worship to.

For all of my gospel loving brother and sisters, here's a gospel song that I feel when it's sang:

I would love to hear your comments.  Who knows I might need to write a Pt. 2.

This blog is written in concurrance with Michael Gungor's "On the Problem With the Christian Music Industry"

--MJA

No comments:

Post a Comment