Wednesday, November 7, 2012

I Disagree...(2012 Election)

So, the election is finally over and we now have a victor.  Congratulations President Barack Obama.  But also, congratulations to Republican Candidate Mitt Romney for a well fought campaign that literally came down to the wire.  It was the prime example of how a great election could be numbers wise.

I now have to write an obligatory "political" blog about the election and how elated and/or disappointed I am in the results (I'll let you choose which one if any).  However, I've seen enough hate out of my Facebook friends, Twitter follows and talk within my ear that I don't feel the need to gloat/vent about the turnout of the election because everyone is doing it for me!

There isn't anything wrong with being passionate one way or another.  But it is wrong to put down someone else's view, to try to take someone else's joy just because you are upset with the outcome.  It is wrong to just be downright disrespectful to the victor or the loser.  It's dehumanizing as well as un-Christ like.  And that's what's bothering me about the outcome.

I can handle all the mudslinging for the politicians because that's what we've come to in todays life.  But when I hear, just like I did in '08 that the world is going to end, that everyone that's against the election is gonna move to Canada, my heart aches.  In life, there are winners and losers, in sports there are winners and loser, in politics there are winners and loser.  It's just the way things go.

Disagreeing with ones policies is one thing and if people were to say, that they don't think the economy, the deficit, education, etc etc is gonna improve then thats fine with me.  It's those extra extremities that is too much.  Whatever happened to civil disagreement.  That's how We are supposed to act.  We, Christians especially, are supposed to love one another despite differences, so why is there hate?  I just don't understand. And it reallllly frustrates me as I look through my feeds.  Aren't we supposed to do everything ina loving Christian manner as Paul continuously says through his letter?  Aren't people supposed to feel the love of Jesus through us?  Aren't we supposed to be the Salt and Light of the world??? (Matthew 5:13-16)

Mitt Romney put his heart out on this election.  He was sooo into it that he didn't write a concession speech. He didn't even wanna let the idea of losing creep into his head which is the sign of a great competitor   But when he lost, he went out with grace, respect, honesty, and love.  One of the (if not THE) most disappointed man in the nation, had to get out in front of his peeps, and tell them that its over.  I can't imagine all the thoughts that ran through his head...disappointment, anger, fear...But he knew what he had to do and did an absolutely amazing job at it.  He stated that we need to pray for this nation and the President.  And I get the feeling he wasn't just saying that if you know what I mean. He put it all out on the line, no remorse, just moving forward.

And that's what we all should do.  We should respond to the results with love and grace.  You can be disappointed, but don't become disrespectful ESPECIALLY in public my friends.  Join Mitt and pray for our nation, pray for our President, pray for each other.  There are plenty of issues in our daily lives that stress us out, sooo lets not let politics become divisions from friendships, spouses, or even the church!  You can disagree, you can be sad, you can be a little upset, but remember, in alll things do it with love. (1 Corinthians 16:1)  Let's chill with all this hate ya'll.

--MJA

4 comments:

  1. Hello, my name is Mike and I am agnostic. I would like to thank you for this post. I do believe in a higher power, I'm just not entirely sure of my overall stance yet. I gotta say, I really enjoy finding posts such as this that put a stark contrast between the more...shall we say, aggressive religious posts. From this, it appears as though you actually live your dogma, rather than just saying you do. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mike! My name is Mike too! Double Mike! Thanks for even considering reading this post! I try to consistently live out my faith and dogma but sometimes I fail. I'm just happy that I don't have to be perfect but I strive to be everyday. I love reading posts such as yours because it keeps me pressing and moving on! So I need to thank you for your kind words!

      Delete
  2. Haha, yeah....truth be told when I saw "I disagree (election 2012) I was thinking "Probably someone from the Romney camp that is about to spew forth Obama hate" and I can't tell you how pleasantly surprised I was to find this instead. I recently just lost a conservative christian friend. She was rather insulting to me by referring to me as a "liberal idiot" for exercising my right to choose who to vote for. You, good sir, are her antithesis, and I thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kinda made it like that intentionally because that's what I figured most people would think. And man, that's no good. The title of this blog is LoveGod.LovePeople because I believe that you can legitimately love God and not love his creation. So when I hear splits based upon politics I can't help but just i dont know mourn ina way. I purposelly didn't acknowledge who I voted for because it doesn't matter. Love is the key. Thanks for your story bro.

      Delete