Tuesday, November 22, 2016

What Are We Doing!?

On November 11, 2016, I felt a push.  I felt a call to go outside of my comfort zone and speak up and out.  I felt a push to speak to both sides, liberals and conservatives; democrats and republicans; white and minorities.  To, in one regard take the conservative side on issues, but also to take the liberal side of the argument.  Both sides have merit.  Both sides have a significant thing to say.  Both sides deserve to be heard.  Nevertheless, most importantly, both sides are wrong and need Jesus. 

Let us start with conservatives.  Pointing out racism, sexism, gender-ism, and whatever ism is not a liberal thing.  At least it should not be.  That should be a moral (or as a Christian, a Jesus) thing.  Pointing out the suffering of a particular group of people is what I believe we as a people are called to do.  The fact that it has seemingly fallen upon the shoulders of liberals is quite disturbing.  

One of my favorite things to do (unfortunately) after a tragedy is to view how CNN (a liberal media) portrays an event versus Fox News (a conservative media).  To my chagrin, Fox News, if it's about a minority portrayed as a victim, doesn't always cover the story (at least not on their Facebook page).  On the other hand, if they do, they'll only publish one article despite the fact it's national news.  Why is that the case? Why does it feel like speaking up for the unheard...the minority is seemingly only a liberal thing?  Doesn't Jesus talk about Justice a TON in the Bible (Luke 11:42; Matt 23:23-28; Luke 4:18-19)?  Doesn't he profess to an upside down kingdom? Isn't the adage, "you're only as strong as your weakest link" mean anything to people?   

Conservatives, open your eyes.  Have a conversation with minorities and instead of judging or the condemning the areas lived, listen, empathize with us and try to understand.  Yes, the aftermath has of this election has been horrendous for minorities.  My mom is an urban high school teacher whose school had to send kids home after the election because they were afraid for their families.  (My mom's school has a high immigrant and Muslim population).  Throughout my city, you see swastika correlated with Pro-Trump.  You have videos of kids bullying other by shouting "white power" or "go back to where you came from" because they've felt empowered by Trumps election.  Please, I'm pleading with you, don't ignore the cries of the oppressed.  This isn't made up; there are videos that show these scenes and so much worse. 

Now Liberals, I have a bone to pick with you.  Immediately after the election, I continuously heard two responses.  First, how can a Christian vote for Donald Trump (and to be honest, I've had to repent of that myself).   Secondly, "all trump voters need to apologize to minorities for the oppression."  I'll start with the former because of the pure nonsensical nature of the statement.  Last time I check, in America, who you vote for is not usually synonymous for who you are as a person.  The Democratic Party is NOT the party of Jesus and neither is the Republican Party.  Please....Stop it!  You may dislike Trump as a moral person, you may not trust him, and you may despise him.  However, trying to determine someone's salvation based upon a vote is not your job.  AND last time I checked, you can't read the hearts of people, only Jesus can (1 Sam 16:7).  It is hurtful and it make us Jesus followers that are trying to make a difference work fifteen times harder. 

To the former,  yes, as I mentioned above, conservatives have frequently turned a blind eye to injustice.  However, voting for a man or woman doesn't mean you support everything they do or say.  In life, there are direct consequences and indirect consequences.  For example, a direct consequence of Donald Trump winning is that minorities (who overwhelmingly voted for Hillary Clinton) felt unheard.  That's predictable.  But the indirect consequence is that the minorities feel afraid and persecuted.  Asking Republicans to apologize for injustice is like asking personal injury lawyers to apologize for car accidents.  It's not in their control, they just react.   Liberals need to stop the blame shifting rhetoric.  I agree with Senator Sanders who said that there are more Democrats in the USA than Republicans.  Therefore, if the democrats would've just voted, there probably wouldn't be a President-Elect Trump.  Would there still be hate crimes, racism, and sexism?  You had better believe that.  Don't try to force people to understand.  If you want them to understand, show them what's going on instead of spewing the "all Trump supports must be racist rhetoric."  That's a blanket statement and I don't remember the last time a blanket statement was helpful or convincing to another party. 

In short (or maybe not too short), this election has done one thing for me: brought me out of my blogging funk.  Nevertheless, we NEED EACH OTHER.  I can't yell that to the mountaintops any more dramatically.  This us versus them mentality will only drive the wedge between us even deeper and we'll never be able to live peacefully.  My older brother would say that I'm being my idealistic self again, but I can't help it.  I believe in people too much.  I believe that there are more good people than bad.  I believe that the worst thing good people can do is say nothing in the face of injustice.  I believe that eyes need to open, ears need to be unclogged and hearts need to be filled with the Spirit.  I refuse to live in a society where I don't speak for the oppressed and misunderstood.  I will fight my heart out to push against the grain.  

If I lose some followers because of my rhetoric, so be it.  I know that I'm attempting to speak the truth in love.  This is the beginning of my uncomfortable breaking in.  I pray that the Lord uses this, and future posts/conversations, to his glory. 

Peace and Love to everyone,
Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment